Friday, June 26, 2009

Recycled Puppy!

I grew up with a darling little golden retriever pup named Aspen. Aspen was adorable plain and simple. She ate razors under the piano, stole junior mints from under the tree, brought dead snakes in from the field...but she also broke up fights between siblings, kept watch over sleeping babies and laid her head in your lap at exactly the right moment.

Despite my great love for our papered pure breed golden, I always said I'd get a dog from the pound when it came time to get a pup. There are so many wonderful dogs already out there, why encourage over breeding and puppy mills?

I know adopting a dog can be a little nerve racking but in November of last year, my dog hunt came to an end. One day as I browsed through the classified, I spotted her, a white lab that had been rescued from an abusive home and was living with a cute little family in Heber. They needed to find a forever home for this 2 year old white lab. 8 months later, I couldn't be happier with my little Miss Kayla, the recycled puppy!

Kayla {one of the drawbacks of getting a pre-owned puppy is that you can't pick the name}, Kayla is great with kids, loves other dogs, and is as obedient as they come. In Kayla's case, her neglect actually made her easier to train because she lives for love and she's easily trained with praise. Here's Kayla watching her friend Lenny the weiner dog puppy sleep.

She's so well behaved that she comes to work with me...just another long day at the office!

No comments:

Post a Comment